JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR:"Form factors in finite volume and finite temperature correlators"

Statistical Physics Group statphys at ictp.it
Wed Jan 14 14:17:47 CET 2009

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 20 January 2009   -    12:30 hrs

Lecture Room D

SISSA Main Building

Gabor TAKACS

( Eötvös University, Budapest )

" Form factors in finite volume and

finite temperature correlators "

Abstract

I review recent work related to the volume dependence of matrix
elements of local fields (form factors), giving a description valid
to all orders in inverse powers of the volume (i.e. only neglecting
contributions that decay exponentially with volume). This method can
be used to test exact solutions (derived using bootstrap methods in
integrable models) against numerical data obtained by solving the
field theory in a truncated state space; it is also useful in
extracting matrix elements from numerical data such as those obtained
from e.g. lattice field theory. Matrix elements with disconnected
pieces require special attention. Such matrix elements are important
in computing finite temperature correlation functions. I give a new
method for generating a low temperature expansion, which is evaluated
for the one-point function up to third order, confirming a series
expansion conjectured by Leclair and Mussardo. Time permitting, I
also briefly show how the results can be extended to a situation with
boundaries.