SEMINAR @ SISSA, P. Cappellaro, Jan. 13, 2009 at 15 hrs.

Barbara Corzani corzani at sissa.it
Wed Jan 7 11:32:10 CET 2009

FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS SECTOR'S ACTIVITIES
SEMINAR

Dott.
Paola Cappellaro
(Harvard University)

Title:
"Coherent control of quantum information devices"

Tue. 13 Jan. 2009  @  03.00 p.m.

SISSA - Main Building - ground floor - room B

The development of new technologies at scales approaching the quantum
regime is driving new theoretical and experimental research on control in
quantum systems. The implementation of quantum control would have an
enormous impact on a wide range of fields, in particular in quantum
information processing and precision metrology.
In this talk I will present the application of coherent control techniques
to the electronic and nuclear spins associated with Nitrogen-Vacancy (NV)
centers in diamond. These systems have emerged as excellent candidates for
quantum information processing, since they can be optically polarized and
detected, and present good coherence properties even at room temperature.
I will first show how this solid state system can be used as the building
block of a scalable architecture for quantum computation or communication.
Then I will present a novel approach to magnetometry, based on NV centers,
that takes advantage of coherent control techniques and the confinement of
the sensing spins into a sample of nanometer dimensions. The resulting
magnetic sensor is projected to yield an unprecedented combination of
ultra-high sensitivity and spatial resolution, with the potential of
exciting applications in bio-science, materials science, and single
electronic and nuclear spin detection.