Friday's Disorder seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Dec 8 15:03:06 CET 2009

Seminar  on  Disorder and strong electron correlations

Friday, 11 December      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Alberto MORPURGO    ( University of Geneva)

"Graphene electronics"

Abstract

Graphene is a new material consisting of a one-atom-thick layer of
graphite.  It has been discovered only a few years ago and since its
discovery it has shown to possess many unique and fascinating
properties. These properties are a consequence of the fact that
electrons in graphene effectively behave as massless relativistic
electrons, whose dynamics is described by the two-dimensional Dirac
equation.  In this talk I will first introduce the field, by
explaining in some detail how the electronic properties of graphene
originate, how they manifest themselves in the experiments, and how
the experiments are actually done.  I will then move to discuss more
specific topics that we have investigated during the past few years.
These include phase coherent transport of electrons (Aharonov-Bohm
effect, weak-localization, Josephson supercurrent), finite
conductivity at the charge neutrality point, and gate-tunable band
structure.  Taken together, these examples make clear that graphene
(single-layers as well as materials consisting of a small number of
layers) indeed is a unique material system, in which the discovery of
new physical phenomena can be expected, and which could be of use in
future electronic applications.