EARTH SYSTEM PHYSICS SEMINAR

Pandora Malchose pandora at ictp.it
Fri Dec 4 12:26:48 CET 2009

EARTH SYSTEM PHYSICS SEMINAR

Wednesday, 9 December 2009
Seminar Room, LB First Floor, 14:30 hrs

Stefano GALMARINI
Joint Research Center
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Ispra, Italy

ENSEMBLE TECHNIQUES FOR ATMOSPHERIC DISPERSION AND AIR QUALITY MODELS: A
CRITICAL REVIEW

The use of ensembles of model results in atmospheric transport and
dispersion applications is becoming more and more popular. The
properties of ensembles have been demonstrated in various situations and
case studies. Often in the scientific literature we read the mantra:
"/... the performance of ensemble of models is shown to be
(systematically) superior to that of individual models/" or "... /the
performance of ensemble of models is shown to be (systematically)
superior to that of best performing member/". However this is a result
of heuristic approaches and practices where no a priori investigation on
the suitability of the constituted ensemble is presented. Given N model
simulations of to the same case study; can we always be sure that
averaging them will produce a better result? Can we just average the
results from any model or should you be selective and specify the
characteristics of these results? Can one produce N slightly different
results with one model or would it be better to use different models?
How do you define that a model is different form another? And what about
the mythological model independence? Can we expect two models that try
to describe the same processes starting from similar mathematical
descriptions to be independent? By means of analytical considerations
and practical examples these questions are addressed showing that there
are exceptions to the observed behaviors and ways to get an optimal
ensemble performance with yet smaller efforts. These results will be put
in a general context of the research in ensemble dispersion with
emphasis to weaknesses and strengths and to where more effort should be
devoted.

Everyone is most welcome.