DF Seminar - Reminder

Rosita Glavina rosita.glavina at ts.infn.it
Thu Dec 3 11:01:37 CET 2009

Department of Physics - University of Trieste

Thursday 3 December 2009 - 15:00 hrs
Room 204 (2nd floor LB)

Prof. Beatrix Hiesmayr
University of Vienna

'Testing quantum mechanical foundations in high energy physics"

In 1964, the physicist John Stuart Bell initiated a new research field
by studying the quantum mechanics closer. Until today, many interesting
and fruitful directions have emerged and even the first applications are
on the market as e.g. quantum cryptography. In a different field, in
particle physics, experiments are achieving ever higher precision such
that the borderline of known physics will be reached. My talk will
combine both fields and tackles some of the most fundamental questions
of quantum mechanics and relates them to the most fundamental questions
in particle physics. In particular, I will show that a Bell inequality,
detecting the nonlocality of quantum mechanics, is in contradiction to
the observed tiny difference between matter and antimatter explored in
particle physics. Then I will discuss further examples what more of
quantum mechanics can be learn by studying system in high energy physics.