Thursday's seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Dec 1 10:29:17 CET 2009

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

SEMINAR on  Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 3 December      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Claudio CASTELNOVO   ( Oxford University )

"A 'quantum mechanical' view on the dynamical glass transition"

Abstract

Using the mapping from the Fokker-Planck description of classical
stochastic dynamics into a quantum Hamiltonian, we argue that a
dynamical glass transition can be given a precise definition in terms
of a static (equilibrium) quantum phase transition. This transition is
characterized by a massive collapse of the excited states, leading to
a divergent static quantum susceptibility throughout the glassy phase,
which directly relates to a non-vanishing Edwards-Anderson order
parameter.  The quantum mechanical language allows to search for off-
diagonal order parameters to detect the classical ‘dynamic order’
using transverse bases – an approach that corresponds to non-static
observables in the original classical language.  Even in the absence
of a local order parameter, the transition can be detected via quantum
fidelity measures on the ground state wavefunction, which we show to
translate directly into a singularity in the heat capacity of the
classical system.