ACTIVATE AFRICA Seminar - Reminder

sdu sdu at ictp.it
Thu Apr 23 11:58:32 CEST 2009

          SDU's ACTIVATE AFRICA Seminar

    Place: Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo Bldg., first floor)
     Date: This Friday 24 April 2009
     Time: 11 AM

  INTERNET PERFORMANCE FOR AFRICA AND THE REST OF THE WORLD

     Les Cottrell
     Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC), USA

    By way of introduction this talk will briefly illustrate the
desperate straits of the African Internet related Infrastructure.
It will then go on to justify why and how we measure Internet
Performance for countries of the world containing over 98% of
the world's population. Using these measurements it will
illustrate the overall Internet performance for the world
in particular throughput,losses, Round Trip Times, etc.
Particular emphasis will be paid to the performance for
over 50 African countries and the differences between
various regions and countries of Africa. It will demonstrate
the performance trends for the last decade, in particular
illustrating how Africa is not only behind all other regions
and one to two decades behind developed regions, but worse
is falling further behind. We also compare our results with
other measures of countries' performance such as International
bandwidth, and human development indices. We will then focus
on the situation in Africa in terms of challenges, opportunities,
connectivity, comparisons with other regions, costs, and
possible future developments.

                        -oOo-