JOINT ICTP/SISSA CONDENSED MATTER SEMINARS: "Re-Visiting Orbital Diamagnetism: A Surprise"

Statistical Physics Group statphys at ictp.it
Tue Apr 14 11:04:37 CEST 2009

JOINT ICTP/SISSA CONDENSED MATTER SEMINARS

Seminar Room - ICTP Leonardo Building

(first floor)

Wednesday, 15 April -     4:00 p.m.

N. KUMAR

( Raman Research Institute, Bangalore )

"Re-Visiting Orbital Diamagnetism: A Surprise"

Abstract

It is  generally known that the orbital diamagnetism of a classical
system of charged particles in thermal equilibrium is identically
zero - the Bohr-van Leeuwen theorem. Physically, this null result
derives from the exact cancellation of the orbital diamagnetic moment
associated with the complete cyclotron orbits of the charged
particles by the paramagnetic moment subtended by the incomplete
orbits skipping the boundary in the opposite sense. Motivated by this
crucial, but subtle role of the boundary, wed have simulated here the
case of a finite but unbounded system, namely that of a charged
particle moving on the surface of a sphere in the presence of an
externally applied uniform magnetic field. Following a real space-
time approach based on the classical Langevin equation, we have
computed the orbital magnetic moment which now indeed turns out to be
non-zero, and has the diamagnetic sign. To the best of our knowledge,
this is the first report of the possibility of finite classical
diamagnetism in principle, and it is due to the avoided cancellation