JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR: "Fibonacci Anyons and Topological Quantum Computation "

Statistical Physics Group statphys at ictp.it
Thu Apr 2 15:03:34 CEST 2009

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 7 April 2009   -    12:30 hrs

  				Lecture Room D

SISSA Main Building

Michele BURRELLO

(S.I.S.S.A. - Trieste)

"Fibonacci Anyons and

Topological Quantum Computation"

Abstract

  Topological quantum computation is considered the best proposal to
overcome local errors in the realization of a quantum computer. In
this scheme, it is well known that Fibonacci anyons can be used to
implement the universal quantum computation, allowing to approximate
with their braidings every single-qubit and two-qubit gate at any
given accuracy. In this talk we will analyze the key features of
these non-abelian anyons and of their braiding group; we will study
the main technics used to achieve the compiling of single-qubit
gates, focusing our attention on Bonesteel's "brute force" approach
and on the quantum hashing through the icosahedral group.