Thursday's talk

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue Sep 23 10:24:11 CEST 2008

SEMINAR on

Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 25 September      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Bldg.- first floor

A. SILVA ( I.C.T.P. )

"The statistics of the work done in a quantum quench"

Abstract

A quantum quench is a rapid change in time of a control parameter in
the hamiltonian describing a quantum, correlated many body system.
The physics of this paradigmatic nonequilibrium process, which has
been realized recently in the context of cold atoms, is of particular
interest in quantum critical systems. In this talk I will discuss a
fundamental way to characterize these processes using basic
thermodynamic variables and looking at their statistics. Focusing on
the statistics of

the work done in a quantum quench I will first elucidate the relation
between the probability distribution of the work, quantum Jarzynski
equalities, and the Loschmidt echo, a quantity that emerges usually
in the context of dephasing. Using this connection, I will then
characterize the statistics of the work done on a quantum Ising chain
by quenching locally

or globally the transverse field, showing that for local quenches
starting at criticality, the probability distribution of the work
displays an interesting edge singularity.

Ref: Alessandro Silva, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 120603 (2008).