For distribution

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue Oct 7 10:51:38 CEST 2008

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 9 October      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Bldg.- first floor

A. SMOGUNOV    ( I.C.T.P. & S.I.S.S.A. )

"Ab initio electronic structure,ballistic conductance, and magnetism
of transition metal nanocontacts"

Abstract

Metallic nanocontacts consisting of just a single monatomic wire
(atomic chain) connecting two macroscopic electrodes can be now
fabricated, imaged, and explored by means of various techniques such
as scanning tunneling microscopy or mechanically controllable break
junctions. We present the first  principles density functional theory
study of such nanowire contacts making a  special emphasis on the
interplay between their magnetic and electron transport properties.
We show the results for ferromagnetic Ni nanocontacts  and for Pt
nanocontacts where the one-dimensional monatomic wires (unlike to the
bulk) were recently shown to develop magnetism.