Mathematics Seminars at ICTP - Tuesday 14 October

Math math at ictp.it
Thu Oct 2 15:04:43 CEST 2008

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2008

Tuesday, 14 October at 14:00 hrs.

Prof. Stefan Ivanov

(Sofia University, Bulgaria)

"Extremals for the Sobolev inequality on the quaternionic Heisenberg
group and the quaternionic contact Yamabe problem"

Abstract: We describe explicitly non-negative extremals for the
Sobolev inequality on the seven dimensional quaternionic Hesenberg
group and determine the best constant in the $L^2$ Folland-Stein
embedding theorem involving quaternionic contact geometry and the
Biquard connection. Consequently, we obtain a solution of the
quaternionic contact Yamabe problem on the quaternionic seven
sphere.  We show that the torsion of the Biquard connection is the
only obstruction quaternionic contact structure to be locally
isomorphic to a 3-Sasakian one. We define a curvature-type tensor
invariant called quaternionic contact (qc) conformal curvature  in
terms of the curvature and torsion of the Biquard connection. The
discovered tensor is similar to the Weyl conformal curvature in
Riemannian geometry and to the Chern-Moser invariant in CR geometry.
We show that a quaternionic contact manifold is locally qc conformal
(gauge equivalent) to the standard flat quaternionic contact
structure on the quaternionic Heisenberg group, or equivalently, to
the standard 3-sasakian structure on the sphere if and only if the qc
conformal curvature vanishes.

Venue:  SEMINAR ROOM, (ICTP Leonardo Building, first floor)