2 seminars coming up

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue Nov 11 11:19:56 CET 2008

SEMINAR on  Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 13 November      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

D. GANGARDT(University of Birmingham)

"Dissipative dynamics in almost integrable system or life-time of
dark solitons"

Abstract

The exact quantum excitations of weakly interacting one dimensional
Bose gas can be observed by their semi-classical counterpart, a dark
soliton.  Dark solitons are protected from decay by integrability and
have infinite lifetime.   In this talk I shall discuss possible
source of non-integrability in realistic systems and show how
solitons acquire a finite life-time.

  ================

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 18 November    -    12:30 hrs.

Seminar Room, ICTP Leonardo Building-1st floor

R. MONASSON  ( Ecole Normale Supérieure - Paris )

" Inference of effective interactions between retinal neurons "

Abstract

Multi-electrodes techniques allow to register the simultaneous
activity of tens of ganglion cells in the vertebrate retina for
several hours.  Recently a low-dimensional representation of this
activity was proposed, based on the notion of effective interactions.
I will present how these couplings can be efficiently inferred in two
models (Ising and Integrate-and-Fire). The dependence of the
interactions on the visual stimulus, and their spatial structure will
be discussed.