Forthcoming seminars

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue May 27 15:18:10 CEST 2008

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Thursday, 29 May    -    3:00 p.m.

Lecture Room 'B' - terrace level  ICTP Leonardo Building

M. BERRY    ( Bristol University )

Series of lectures on: 'Singularities and asymptotics'

Fourth lecture

" Optical vorticulture "

Abstract

After reviewing the history, beginning in the 1660s, of lines of phase
and polarization singularity in light and other waves,  I will describe
our present understanding of their geometry, and several recent
applications: to spiral phase plates (vortex choreography), vortex
knots and links, ubiquity of vortices in interferometers, and quantum
cores of the singularities.

=======

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Wednesday, 4 June    -    3:00 p.m.

Lecture Room 'B' - terrace level   ICTP Leonardo Building

M. BERRY  ( Bristol University )

Series of lectures on: 'Singularities and asymptotics'

Fifth lecture

" Two by two "

Abstract

A tutorial account of families of 2x2 matrices labelled by several
parameters will concentrate on the neighbourhood of degeneracies. The
emphasis will be on the differences between hermitian and nonhermitian
matrices. Physical phenomena where such degeneracies play a crucial
role will be described.