Tomorrow's seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon May 12 10:44:27 CEST 2008

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 13 May    -    12:30 hrs.

Seminar Room - ICTP Leonardo Building-1st floor

F. ESSLER ( University of Oxford )

" Finite- temperature lineshapes in gapped quantum spin chains "

Abstract

We consider the finite-temperature dynamical suscepibility, X(T), of
gapped quantum spin chains such as the integer spin Heisenberg model
and the transverse field Ising model.  At zero temperature  X  in these
models is dominated by a delta-function line arising from the coherent
propagation of single particle modes.  Using methods of integrable
quantum field theory we determine the evolution of the lineshape at low
temperatures.  We show that the line shape is in general asymmetric in
energy.  We discuss the application of our results to inelastic neutron
scattering experiments on gapped spin chain systems such as YBaNiO_5.