Thursday's seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon Jun 23 11:18:42 CEST 2008

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR  on  Statistical Physics

Thursday, 26 June    -    11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Bldg.- first floor

A. GARAI   ( Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur )

" Two-state model for two different molecular motors: Monomeric
helicase and KIF1A "

Abstract

Biological molecular motors are the enzymes which play crucial  roles
in different cellular and developmental processes in a living cell.
  Helicases are molecular motors that unwind double-stranded nucleic
acids  such as DNA and RNA. KIF1A is a single headed kinesin motor that
takes part in intracellular transport along microtubule from cell
center to cell  periphery.  They both perform mechanical work by
hydrolyzing ATP.
In the flashing ratchet picture, the motor proteins switch between two
states: one where the motor is tightly bound to the track and another
where the motor is weakly bound and can diffuse along the track.  This
flashing ratchet mechanism can be found in these two motors.  In this
talk I will discuss the speed of unwinding of the double stranded
nucleic acid and fluctuations around the average unwinding velocity of
the monomeric  helicase. Then I will emphasize the effects of
mechanochemistry  and steric interactions on the KIF1A traffic.