minicourse announcement

Boris Dubrovin dubrovin at sissa.it
Mon Jan 28 11:12:54 CET 2008

	Professor Alexander ITS

(Brunel University & Imperial College; on leave of absence
from Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis)

	will deliver a minicourse

The Riemann-Hilbert approach in the theory
          of Toeplitz and Hankel determinants.

ABSTRACT: We will outline the basic features of
the asymptotic analysis of  Toeplitz and Hankel determinants
via the Riemann-Hilbert method.  As a case study,
we will evaluate the large $n$  asymptotics for the
$n \times n $ Hankel determinant whose symbol is the Gaussian
multiplied by a step-like function (a joint work with I. Krasovsky)
We will also review some of the most recent results obtained in
the field and discuss some of its open questions.

The first lecture will take place on Thursday, January 31
at 16:00, Room D of SISSA Main Building