Seminar Announcement - OATS-DAUT SEMINAR - Wednesday, February 27th, at 12:00 noon (Villa Bazzoni)

Gabriella Schiulaz schiulaz at oats.inaf.it
Mon Feb 25 11:48:12 CET 2008

I announce you next OAT-DAUT seminar:

                OATS-DAUT SEMINAR

Speaker: Andreja Gomboc (University of Ljubljana, Slovenia)

Title: Early Optical Afterglows of GRBs with 2-m Robotic Telescopes

Date: Wednesday, February 27th, 2008
Time: 12:00
Venue: Villa Bazzoni (Via Bazzoni, 2)

In last three years many new insights into Gamma Ray Bursts (GRBs) physics have been brought by the Swift satellite. Rapid and accurate localization of GRBs by the Swift enables rapid response ground-based telescopes to routinely commence with observations of optical afterglows within minutes after the burst. The combination of gamma-ray, X-ray, optical and ultraviolet data from Swift instruments with deep, early-time optical imaging from ground-based telescopes is providing unprecedented multiwavelength datasets.
I will present the observational strategy and some results of rapid, automatic, optical follow-up observations of a sample of GRBs using the 2-m robotic Liverpool and Faulkes Telescopes. The observations are carried out from minutes to a few hours after the prompt GRB and result in well-sampled light curves. I will review and discuss possible interpretation of the large variety in early afterglow behaviour.
contact: Stefano Cristiani (OATS) and/or Dunja Fabian (DAUT)

Next week seminar:

                   OATS-DAUT SEMINAR
Speaker: Patrick François (Observatoire de Paris-Meudon)

Title: Abundance of heavy elements in extremely metal-poor stars