2 seminars coming up

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon Dec 1 09:37:45 CET 2008

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 2 December    -    12:30 hrs.

Seminar Room   ICTP Leonardo Building - 1st floor

R. KÜHN   ( King's College, London )

" Spectra of sparse random matrices and localization on random graphs "

Abstract

We compute the spectral density for ensembles of sparse symmetric
random matrices using replica. Our formulation of the replica-
symmetric ansatz shares the symmetries of the one suggested in a
seminal paper by Rodgers and Bray (symmetry with respect to
permutation of replica / and/ rotation symmetry in the space of
replica), but uses a different representation in terms of
superpositions of Gaussians. It gives rise to a pair of integral
equations which can be solved by a stochastic population-dynamics
algorithm. Remarkably our representation allows to identify pure-
point contributions to the spectral density related to the existence
of normalizable eigenstates. Our approach is not restricted to
matrices defined on graphs with Poissonian degree distribution.
Matrices defined on regular random graphs or on scale-free graphs,
are easily handled. We also look at matrices with row constraints
such as discrete graph Laplacians, and at Random Schroedinger
Operators defined on random graphs.  Our approach naturally allows to
unfold the total density of states into contributions coming from
vertices of different local coordination and an example of such an
unfolding is presented. Our results are well corroborated by
numerical diagonalization studies of large finite random matrices.

===

SEMINAR on  Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 4 December      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

D. BAGRETS   ( Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe )

" Nonequilibrium kinetics of a  disordered Luttinger liquid "

Abstract

We develop a kinetic theory for strongly correlated one-dimensional
electron systems  out of equilibrium, within the framework of the
Luttinger liquid model. In the absence  of disorder (backscattering
off impurities), the model is completely integrable and  as such
exhibits no relaxation to equilibrium. We formulate a theoretical
framework  to study relaxation processes due to the interplay of
disorder and electron-electron interactions, based on kinetic
equations for electron and plasmon distribution functions. We
calculate the rate of energy relaxation (equilibration) in a
disordered Luttinger liquid, relevant to the transport properties of
quantum wires at finite bias voltage. Remarkably, for not too low
temperature and bias, the energy-relaxation rate is found to be given
by the rate of elastic scattering off disorder, independent of the
strength  of electron-electron interaction and temperature.