For distribution - thanks

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon Sep 24 15:21:07 CEST 2007

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 27 September   -    11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Main Bldg.- first floor

N. SURENDRAN   ( The Abdus Salam I.C.T.P. )

"Criticality in dimerized spin chains"

Abstract

	Antiferromagnetic Heisenberg spin chains with alternating bond
strengths become gapless at specific values of the dimerization
parameter, as predicted by the mapping to O(3) non-linear sigma(NLSM)
with a topological term.  To find the location of the gapless points,
we analytically and numerically study the system for various values of
spin using a twisted boundary condition. A tunneling calculation
reproduces the NLSM results obtained from more involved field theoretic
methods.  Another approach involving a certain matrix element between
two Neel states provides a set of gapless points which not only differ
significantly from the tunneling/NLSM values,  but gives good agreement
with the results of an exact diagonalization method.