Seminar Announcement - OATS-DAUT SEMINAR - Wednesday, Oct. 3rd, at 12:00 noon (Villa Bazzoni)

Gabriella Schiulaz schiulaz at oats.inaf.it
Mon Oct 1 10:50:24 CEST 2007

I announce you this week's OAT-DAUT seminar:

                        OATS-DAUT SEMINAR

Speaker: Vincenzo Mainieri (ESO, Munich)

Title: What can we learn on obscured AGN from the COSMOS Survey

Date: Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007
Time: 12:00
Venue: Villa Bazzoni (Via Bazzoni, 2)

Abstract: So far, a major challenge in tracking SBH growth at high redshift has been due to the fact that the growth phase of SBHs likely coincides with periods of high obscuration. It is extremely difficult to identify and follow up sufficiently large samples of such obscured AGN, since they are generally undetected at optical wavelengths. It is crucial to achieve a combination of wide area together with deep sensitivity in order to produce a complete sample of obscured AGN up to high redshift. The COSMOS survey is uniquely optimized to address this issue: it covers up to 2 squares degrees at X-ray, optical, IR and radio wavelengths. I will review the status of the different follow-up studies inside COSMOS relevant for this study, present the result of an X-ray spectral analysis on ~1000 X-ray selected AGN and discuss selection methods of obscured AGN using the Spitzer bands.

Next week's Seminar

OATS-DAUT SEMINAR
Speaker: François Leblanc (Service d'Aèronomie-CNRS-IPSL, Verrières-le-Buisson)

Title: Mercury's atmosphere