For distribution - revised

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed May 30 14:36:49 CEST 2007

CONDENSED MATTER SECTION

SEMINAR on  Disorder and strong electron correlations

THURSDAY, 31 May   -    11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Main Bldg.- first floor

D. ARISTOV   ( Universität Karlsruhe )

"Luttinger liquids with curvature: Density correlations and Coulomb
drag effect"

Abstract

	I discuss the effect of the curvature in fermionic dispersion on the
observable properties of Luttinger liquid (LL).  In the bosonization
technique the curvature is irrelevant perturbation,  describing the
decay of LL bosons (plasmon modes).  When possible, I show the
correspondence between the bosonization and the fermionic approach.
The most important application of this approach is the analysis of the
Coulomb drag by small momentum transfer between two LL, which is only
possible due to curvature.  Analyzing the a.c. transconductivity in the
one-dimensional drag setup,  I confirm the results by Pustilnik {\em et
al.} for $T-$dependence of drag resistivity,  $R_{12} \sim T^2$ at high
and $R_{12} \sim T^5$ at low temperatures.  The bosonization allows for
treating both intra- and inter-wire electron-electron interactions in
all orders, and I calculate the exact prefactors in low-T drag regime.
The crossover temperature between the two regimes is $T_1 \sim E_F
\Delta$, with $\Delta$ relative difference in plasmon velocities. I
show that $\Delta \neq 0$ even for identical wires, due to lifting of
plasmon degeneracy by interwire interaction, $U_{12}$, leading to
crossover from $R_{12} \sim U_{12}^2 T^2$ to $R_{12} \sim T^5/U_{12}$
at $T \sim U_{12}$.