Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - next week

Math math at ictp.it
Tue May 22 11:00:08 CEST 2007

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2007

Tuesday, 29 May at 14:00 hrs.

Professor Takuro Abe
(Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan)

"Free and non-free multiplicity on hyperplane arrangements"

Abstract: A multiarrangement, which is a collection of hyperplanes
with multiplicities, was introduced by Ziegler for the purpose of
solving several problems of free arrangements, e.g., Terao
conjecture. There are several interesting studies related to
multiarrangements, its logarithmic vector fields and freenss by
Solomon, Terao, and Yoshinaga. Especially, Yoshinaga proved that
Terao conjecture is closely related to free multiarrangements. In
this talk, we give two useful theorems to consider the freeness of
multiarrangements, i.e., the addition-deletion theorem and
characteristic polynomial. As an application, we classify the free
and non-free graphic multiplicity on the Coxeter arrangements of type
$A_\ell$. The main part of this talk is joint work with Hiroaki Terao
and Max Wakefield.

VENUE:  SEMINAR ROOM (ICTP Main Building, first floor)