For distribution

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed May 2 15:19:11 CEST 2007

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 8 May    -    12:30 hrs.

Seminar Room - ICTP Main Building    (first floor)

A. LAIO     ( SISSA - International School for Advanced Studies )

"Folding of small proteins in explicit solvent by the combined use of
metadynamics and replica exchange"

Abstract

We recently developed a method that combines replica exchange with
metadynamics and allows, with a moderate computational effort, the
simultaneous reconstruction of the free energy as a function of a large
number of variables.  This allows simulating very complex reactions,
like protein folding, in which the reaction coordinate is totally
unknown.  We will discuss applications of the methodology to the
folding in explicit solvent of the TRP cage miniprotein and of the
advillin headpiece C-terminal domain (cHP) and its Pro62Ala mutant. Our
calculations allow,  for these small proteins, the ab initio prediction
of the folded state.  For the advillin headpiece we find that the
Pro62Ala mutation does not change the overall stability of the native
state but it significantly alters the entropic contribution to the
folding free energy. Therefore,  the mutant is still folded at room
temperature but is characterized by a lower unfolding temperature. This
prediction was subsequently validated by NMR and CD experiments.