CM Seminar

ICTP info point info_pt at ictp.it
Mon Mar 5 15:11:51 CET 2007

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 6 March    -    12:30 hrs.

Seminar Room - ICTP Main Building   (first floor)

G. MUSSARDO   ( SISSA, Trieste )

" Off-critical statistical models in two dimensions "

Abstract

This seminar intends to present the main theoretical ideas behind the
study of the statistical models in two dimensions,  such as
universality, integrability or breaking thereof.   As example, we will
make a thorough analysis of the class of universality of the Ising
model: in particular we focus on the universal ratios of the
Renormalization Group and on the spectrum of the excitations by varying
the temperature or/and the magnetic field.

=============================

Seminar on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 8 March   -    11:00 a.m.

Lecture Room 'C',  Main Bldg.- terrace level

A. SILVA   ( The Abdus Salam I.C.T.P. )

"Multiphoton processes in driven mesoscopic systems"

Abstract

In this seminar, I will describe the dynamics in energy space of a
mesoscopic system, specifically a quasi-1d ring threaded by an harmonic
time-dependent flux  Phi(t), focusing on the the statistics of
multi-photon absorption/emission processes.  For this sake, I will
demonstrate a useful mapping of the dynamics of the electrons
distribution function into a Continuous Time Random Walk in energy
space. Studying the probability to absorb/emit  n  quanta  per
scattering event, we will explore the crossover between
ultra-quantum/low-intensity limit and quasi-classical/high-intensity
regime, and the role of multiphoton processes in driving it.  Finally,
I will discuss the influence of quantum interference, and the role of
system geometry in determining its effect.

ooooooooooooo ----- ooooooooooooo

Ms. M. Poropat
Secretary
Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
The Abdus Salam International
   Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11
34014 Trieste