For distribution - thanks

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Fri Jun 8 16:27:05 CEST 2007

									07/03

JOINT ICTP/SISSA CONDENSED MATTER SEMINARS
Academic Year 2006/07

Seminar Room - Main Building  (first floor)

Wednesday, 13 June -     4:00 p.m.

M.P. DAS   ( Australian National University, Canberra )

" What is new in the realm of quantum electronic transport in
mesoscopic physics? "

Abstract

The prime signature of transport in quantum wires and quantum point
contacts, namely the quantisation of conductance into 'Landauer steps'
in units of 2e^2/h, appears to be adequately explained in terms of
coherent transmission of electron waves through a loss free barrier.
However, the picture of quantum coherent scattering at this
phenomenological level can not address the central issue of metallic
conduction: what causes dissipation in a ballistic quasi-one
dimensional wire.
In this talk I shall present answer to this vexed question by many-body
quantum kinetics, totally free of unwanted phenomenologies.  Our
microscopic application of well-tested many-body methods leads not only
to conductance quantisation by precise accounting for inelastic energy
loss,  but we also resolve a long standing experimental enigma in the
fluctuation spectra of a quantum point contact.  I shall also highlight
some recent controversy regarding negative resistance in three- and
four-terminal devices.
The talk will be presented at a pedagogic level.