urgent distribution seminars

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue Jul 24 15:21:28 CEST 2007

JOINT ICTP/SISSA CONDENSED MATTER SEMINARS
Academic Year 2006/07

Seminar Room - Main Building  (first floor)

Wednesday, 25 July -     4:00 p.m.

G. BASKARAN   ( The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai )

" Theory of supersolid phenomena "

Abstract

Quantum fluctuations in Solid He 4 leads to a variety of interesting
phenomena.  One such possibility is a supersolid phase, where a fragile
superfluidity survives in the crystalline state. Recent experimental
observations of non classical moment of inertia by Kim and Chan claim
to confirm this exotic phase.  After giving a background I will review
my recent theory [1] of the supersolid phenomena.  In my theory,
quantized vortices play a fundamental role. Quantized vortices in He4
have a very small core energy and core size (about 1 Au). Quantized
vortex loops are also present in the superfluid, as quantum
fluctuations. Pressure beyond 25 atmosphere generates a spontaneous
vortex-antivortex lattice, also self consistently develops an atom
density wave with hcp symmetry.  Supersolid He4 is a vortex solid.
Many of the existing phenomenology gets explained and some interesting
predictions are made.

[1] And quiet flows the supersolid, G. Baskaran, cond-mat/0505160

==========

CONDENSED MATTER SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR

Thursday, 26 July   -    11:00 a.m.

Lecture Room 'C' -  Main Bldg. - terrace level

T.I. BATURINA   ( Institute of Semiconductor Physics, Novosibirsk )

"Quantum critical region of the disorder-driven
superconductor-insulator transition"

Abstract

I present results of the experimental study of the low-temperature
transport properties of disordered thin TiN superconducting films
across the localization threshold.  The films exhibit an extremely
sharp separation between the well-defined superconducting- and
insulating phases, demonstrating thus unambiguously the direct
disorder-driven superconductor-insulator transition.  Although the
films choose unequivocally between the either superconducting or
insulating ground states, the temperature- and magnetic-field behaviors
of the resistance reveal an insulating trend in the superconducting
films and a superconducting trend in the insulating films.  At zero and
low magnetic fields the conductivity of insulating films is thermally
activated, with the activation energy being nonmonotonic and
magnetic-field dependent.  In all samples, including insulating films,
magnetoresistance varies non-monotonously with the magnetic field,
starting with the positive magnetoresistance at low fields, then
reaching the maximum, followed first by the rapid drop and the eventual
saturation at higher magnetic fields.  At these high fields the
difference between the insulating and superconducting samples vanishes
and all curves converge to the resistance close to the quantum value.
At very low temperatures a sharp depinning voltage threshold in
conductivity is observed.  Our results and the comparison with other
studies on InOx clearly indicate that, in the vicinity of the
disorder-driven superconductor-insulator transition, the response to
the applied magnetic and/or electric fields, is the same irrespectively
to whether the underlying ground state is superconducting or
insulating.   The observed similarity allows for conjecture that in the
critical region of the transition a peculiar highly inhomogeneous
"superconducting insulator" forms.  This inhomogeneity may be
considered as self-induced granularity, coming from the strong
mesoscopic fluctuations in disordered thin superconducting films and/or
the fractal character of the electronic wave functions near the
localization threshold.