For urgent distribution - tks

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed Jul 18 15:56:06 CEST 2007

Condensed Matter Physics Associates’ Meeting

" Variational approach to hydrodynamics of superfluid systems "

Speaker: Alexander PELETMINSKII
(Akhiezer Institute for Theoretical Physics, National Science Center
KIPT, Kharkov, Ukraine)

Time: 16:00 hours

Venue: Lecture Room B (Terrace level, Main Building)

Date: Thursday, 19 July 2007

Abstract

We study the variational approach to hydrodynamics of superfluid
systems.  We construct an effective Lagrangian describing the
non-dissipative hydrodynamics of a more general system that is a
supersolid phase.  The Hamilton equations of motion are obtained from
the principle of stationary action.  The closed algebra of Poisson
brackets is also found.  The Hamilton equations of motion in the
leading approximation with respect to spatial gradients of local
thermodynamic variables result in hydrodynamic equations.  It is shown
that hydrodynamic equations coincide with the supersolid
Andreev-Livshitz hydrodynamics (non-dissipative) if to impose the
constraint on thermodynamic potential associated with Galilean
invariance.  An effective Lagrangian also describes the ordinary
superfluid hydrodynamics.

ALL ARE WELCOME