Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - NEXT WEEK

Math math at ictp.it
Wed Feb 14 09:54:54 CET 2007

[Please discard previous version]

M A T H E M A T I C S  S E M I N A R S  2007

Tuesday, 20 February, at 14:00 hrs.

Dr. Cheikh Birahim Ndiaye
(SISSA)

"Constant Q-curvature conformal metrics in arbitrary dimension"

Abstract:  In this talk, we will discuss the problem of finding metrics
with constant Q-curvature on a given closed Riemannian manifold (M,g)
with
dimension an arbitrary integer n³3. This will be equivalent to
solving an
n-th order elliptic PDE ( if n is even) or an n-th order elliptic
integral
equation (if n is odd ) with exponential nonlinearity  and  variational
structure in both cases. However when the total integral of the
Q-curvature is large, the Euler-Lagrange functional associated is
unbounded from below,
implying that we have to find critical points of saddle point type.
Using
a min-max scheme whose construction is based on concentration of volume,
we solve the problem under general assumptions which are also
conformally
invariant.

Venue: Seminar room (ICTP Main Building, first floor)