JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR: "How scaling and market efficiency determine the irreversible

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed Dec 5 15:21:40 CET 2007

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 11 December    -    12:30 hrs.

Lecture Room 'D' - SISSA Main Building

A. STELLA
(Department of Physics and INFN, University of Padova)

"How scaling and market efficiency determine the irreversible
evolution of an index"

Abstract

In setting up a stochastic description of the time evolution of a
financial index, the challenge consists in devising a model compatible
with all stylized facts emerging from the analysis of financial time
series and providing a reliable basis for simulating such series. Based
on constraints imposed by market efficiency and on an
inhomogeneous-time generalization of standard simple scaling, we
propose an analytical model which accounts simultaneously for empirical
results like the linear decorrelation of successive returns, the power
law dependence on time of the volatility autocorrelation function, and
the multiscaling associated to this dependence. In addition, our
approach gives a justification and a quantitative assessment of the
irreversible character of the index dynamics. This irreversibility
enters as a key ingredient in a novel simulation strategy of index
evolution which demonstrates the predictive potential of the model.