For distribution - thanks

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed Aug 15 14:22:17 CEST 2007

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR  on  Statistical Physics

Monday, 20 August    -    5:00 p.m.

Seminar Room  - Main Building (first floor)

T.B. LIVERPOOL   (University of Leeds)

" Fluctuations, pauses and backtracking in DNA transcription "

Abstract

Transcription is a vital stage in the process of gene expression and a
major contributor to fluctuations in gene expression levels for which
it is typically modelled as a single step process with Poisson
statistics.  However, recent single molecule experiments raise
questions about the validity of such a simple single step picture.  We
present a molecular multi-step model of transcription elongation that
demonstrates that transcription times are in general non-Poisson
distributed.  In particular, we model transcriptional pauses due to
backtracking of the RNA polymerase as a first passage process.  By
including such pauses, we obtain a broad, heavy-tailed distribution of
transcription elongation times.  When transcriptional pauses result in
long transcription times,  we demonstrate that this naturally leads to
bursts of mRNA production and non-Poisson statistics of mRNA levels.
These results suggest that transcriptional pauses may be a significant
contributor to the variability in transcription rates with direct
implications for noise in cellular processes as well as variability
between cells.