Mathematics Seminars at ICTP - next week

Math math at ictp.it
Wed Aug 8 14:00:39 CEST 2007

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2007

Tuesday, 14 August at 14:00 hrs.

Professor Augustin Banyaga
(The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, USA)

"A new proof of the Morse-Bott inequalities"

Abstract: Let $f$ be a Morse-Bott function on a compact oriented
finite dimensional
manifold $M$. The polynomial Morse inequalities and a perturbation
technique approximating any Morse-Bott function by a Morse function
show immediately that if
$MB(f)(t)$ is the Morse-Bott polynomial of $f$, and $P(M)(t)$ is the
Poincare polynomial of $M$, there exists a polynomial $R(t)$ such that
$MB(f)(t) = P(M)(t)  + (1+t)R(t)$. We prove that $R(t)$ is a
polynomial with nonnegative integer coefficients, using the Morse
Homology Theorem, and by studying the ranks of the kernels of the
differentials of the Morse-Smale-Witten complexes of the Morse
functions involved in the approximation scheme.
Our method works when all the critical submanifolds are oriented or
when $Z_2$
coefficients are used. Our proof is much more  direct than all
previous proofs.
This is a joint work with David  E. Hurtubise.

VENUE:  SEMINAR ROOM (ICTP Main Building, first floor)

------------

Thursday, 16 August at 15:00 hrs.

Professor Tatiana Gateva-Ivanova
(Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, and
American University in Bulgaria, Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria)

"Set theoretic solutions of the Yang-Baxter equation, graphs and
computations"

Abstract:  It is well-known that certain matrix solutions of the
braid or Yang-Baxter equations lead to braided categories, knot
invariants, quantum groups and other important constructions.
However, these equations are also very interesting at the level of
set maps r : X x X --> X x X, where X is a set and r is a bijection,
a line of study proposed by Drinfeld. Solutions extend linearly to
very special linear solutions but also lead to a great deal of
combinatorics, and to algebras with very nice algebraic and
homological properties including those relating to Artin-Schelter
regularity, Koszulity, being Noetherian domain, the existence of
noncommutative Groebner bases.
We extend our recent work on set-theoretic solutions of the Yang-
Baxter or braid relations with new results about their automorphism
groups, strong twisted unions of solutions and multipermutation
solutions. We introduce and study graphs of solutions and use our
graphical methods for the computation of solutions of finite order
and their automorphisms. Results include a detailed study of
solutions of multipermutation level 2.

VENUE:  SEMINAR ROOM (ICTP Main Building, first floor)