For distribution - tks

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon Apr 23 13:33:37 CEST 2007

SEMINAR on  Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 26 April   -    4:00 p.m.

Lecture Room 'C',  Main Bldg.- terrace level

V. PELLEGRINI  (NEST INFM-CNR and Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa )

" Shining light on correlated electrons in low-dimensional
semiconductors"

Abstract

	The low-dimensional electron systems that reside in artificial
semiconductor heterostructures of great perfection are a contemporary
materials base for explorations of collective phenomena and quantum
phase transitions.  Studies of low-lying elementary excitations by
inelastic light scattering offer insights on properties such energetic,
interactions and spin magnetization.  We review here recent light
scattering results obtained from two-dimensional (2D) quantum fluids in
semiconductor heterostructures under extreme conditions of low
temperature and large magnetic field, where the quantum Hall phases are
archetypes of novel behaviors.  We also consider recent light
scattering experiments that have probed the excitation spectra of
few-electron states in semiconductor quantum dots.