For distribution

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Thu Apr 5 16:25:52 CEST 2007

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 12 April   -    11:00 a.m.

Lecture Room 'C',  Main Bldg.- terrace level

F. FRANCHINI    ( The Abdus Salam I.C.T.P. )

"Ellipse of constant entropy in the XY spin chain"

Abstract

	We study the bi-partite entanglement in the ground state of the
one-dimensional XY spin 1/2 model, by calculating the Von Neumann
Entropy of a block of neighboring spins.  We consider the
double-scaling limit in which the block size is much bigger than unity,
but still much smaller than the length of the whole chain.  As long as
the system is gapped, as the size of the block increases toward
infinity, the entropy reaches a finite saturation value. We study this
limit entropy in the two-dimensional phase diagram of the system, as a
function of the anisotropy parameter and of the external magnetic
field.  We identify its minima at product states and its divergences at
the quantum phase transitions. We find that the curves of constant
entropy are ellipses and hyperbolae and that they all meet at one point
(it essential critical point).  The entropy is highly discontinuous
across this point: depending on the direction of approach to the
essential critical point the entropy can take any value on the positive
real axis.  In the vicinity of this point small changes in the
parameters cause drastic changes of the entropy and this can be really
important for quantum control.  Finally, I will present some more
technical results from a work in progress, in which a second,
degenerate, ground state of the model is identified and I'll briefly
discuss its meaning and significance.