Very urgent announcement for today

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed Oct 25 12:03:39 CEST 2006

									06/07

JOINT ICTP/SISSA CONDENSED MATTER SEMINARS
Academic Year 2006/07

Seminar Room - Main Building  (first floor)

Wednesday, 25 October -     4:00 p.m.

V. ZLATIC  ( Institute of Physics, Zagreb )

"Theory of enhanced thermoelectric performance in strongly correlated
multilayered nanostructures"

Abstract

  We illustrate how the electronic charge reconstruction near the
interfaces of metal/strongly-correlated barrier/metal devices  can lead
to a significant  enhancement of the thermoelectric  response due to
the breaking of particle-hole symmetry.  We show how one can achieve
effective Seebeck coefficients larger than 150 μV/K and effective
electronic figures-of-merit ZT higher than 1.  Our theory shows that
electronic thermoelectric transport properties can be significantly
enhanced from inhomogeneities created by the rearrangement of charge
near the interfaces, and that bulk figures-of-merit cannot generically
be employed to determine the figure-of-merit of a multilayered
nanostructure.