Next week's seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed Oct 4 16:46:21 CEST 2006

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR  on  Statistical Physics

Wednesday, 11 October    -    11:00 a.m.

SEMINAR ROOM - MAIN BUILDING  (first floor)

Y. MORENO VEGA  ( Universidad de Zaragoza )

" Path to synchronization in complex networks "

Abstract

We study the synchronizability of complex networks whose degree
distributions are Poisson or heavy tailed (scale-free).  Our analysis
is based on the dynamics of the Kuramoto's model in a system of coupled
oscillators that interact in these topologies.  We investigate the
evolution of patterns of synchronized oscillators, and connect this
local information with global measures of synchronization in the
system.  The results show that, there are values for the intensity of
the interaction that make degree homogeneous networks more
synchronizable than heterogeneous networks and vice-versa.  Moreover,
we study the synchronization transition in scale-free networks that are
characterized by tunable local properties.  Our study highlights the
need of exploring the whole phase diagram and not only the stability of
the fully synchronized state, where most studies have been done up to
now.