For distribution

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue Nov 14 15:25:56 CET 2006

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR  on  Statistical Physics

Friday, 17 November    -    11:00 a.m.

Lecture Room 'C'- Main Building   (terrace level)

D. SHARMA   ( Raman Research Institute, Bangalore )

" Gaussian-to-LŽvy statistical crossover in a random amplifying medium "

Abstract

We have studied the emission from Random Amplifying Media (RAM) by
means of experiments, theoretical analysis and Monte Carlo simulation.
We report the crossover from the Gaussian to the LŽvy statistics in the
ßuctuation of emission intensity from RAM and demonstrate the
tunability of LŽvy exponent.
In order to examine the competition between the scattering and the
gain, we studied by Monte Carlo simulation, the emission from
conventional dye scatterer systems and the reverse case of active
scatterers suspended in a passive bulk. The marked difference in their
emission features, especially at high scatterings, lead us to classify
them as the Direct RAM (D RAM) and the Reverse RAM (R RAM)
respectively.