Maths Seminar (24 May)

Math math at ictp.it
Mon May 15 15:50:56 CEST 2006

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2006

Wednesday, 24 May at 14:30 hrs.

Professor Dr. Yuri Bozkhov
(IMECC, State University of Campinas, S.P., Brazil)

Noether symmetries of critical
nonlinear differential equations

Abstract: The purpose of this talk is to discuss a common property of
certain classes of quasilinear and semilinear differential equations,
namely: "a Lie point symmetry of the considered equation is a Noether
symmetry if and only if the equation parameters assume critical
values".
By "Noether symmetry" we mean a variational or a divergence symmetry.
As it is well known, the so-called critical exponent is found as the
critical power for embedding theorems. It is also related to some
numbers dividing the existence and nonexistence cases for the solutions
of differential equations, in particular of semilinear differential
equations involving the Laplace operator. We shall consider the Sobolev
case and the Pohozhaev-Trudinger case for some second order ODE: the
general class studied by Clement-de Figueiredo-Mitidieri, involving the
radial forms of PDEs containing the Laplace, p-Laplace and k-Hessian
opertors, the Lane-Emden equation, the Emden-Fowler equation, the
Boltzmann equation; the Lane-Emden system, and PDE: the semilinear
polyharmonic equation in R^n and the Kohn-Laplace  equation on the
Heisenberg group H^1.
Since the Noether symmetry allows to reduce by 2 the integration
procedure of an ODE one can find explicitly the solutions corresponding
to the Sobolev and Pohozhaev-Trudinger cases. Regarding PDE, we find
via the Noether Theorem conservation laws for the critical equations.

VENUE:  SEMINAR ROOM
(Main Building, first floor)