Earth System Physics Seminar

Pandora Malchose Pieri pandora at ictp.it
Thu Jul 13 11:58:57 CEST 2006

EARTH SYSTEM PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 18 July
11:00 hrs, MB SEMINAR ROOM

Ben SANDERSON
University of Oxford
U.K.

"EVALUATING AND CONSTRAINING FEEDBACK MECHANISMS IN A PERTURBED PHYSICS
ENSEMBLE"

Abstract:
We apply a linear analysis to a grand ensemble of perturbed climate
models in order to determine independent feedback mechanisms.  By
evaluating the climatic response in each Giorgi region, we build up a
fingerprint of the global response to increasing greenhouse gas
forcing.  Principle Component Analysis is then used to relate
independent mechanisms to the perturbed parameters in the ensemble, and
to constrain the strength of each mechanism using reanalysis data.  An
estimate of climate sensitivity can then be derived by examining how
the feedbacks project onto the global mean climate response.