Forthcoming CM seminars

ICTP info point info_pt at ictp.it
Wed Feb 8 10:30:41 CET 2006

INFORMAL SEMINAR on

Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 9 February    -    11:00 a.m.

Room 239,  Main Bldg.- II floor

V. YUDSON   ( Institute of Spectroscopy, Moscow Region )

"Universalities in electron scattering on mesoscopic obstacles"

Abstract

We study electron propagation through a random array of rare strong
scatterers (e.g.,  quantum antidots) of geometrical sizes much greater
than the electron wavelength.  It turns out that for a wide class of
scatterer's shapes, the ratio of the transport and the total elastic
scattering rates does not depend on the scatterer's shape and is
determined entirely by the space dimension.  Possible experimental
manifestations are discussed.
=======

JOINT ICTP/SISSA/DEMOCRITOS CONDENSED MATTER SEMINAR
Academic Year 2005/06

SEMINAR ROOM - MAIN BUILDING   (first floor)

Wednesday, 15 February -     4:00 p.m.

B.L. TROUT   (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge )

" Statistical physics applied to the development of biopharmaceuticals "

       Abstract

Biopharmaceuticals are globular protein or antibody drugs.  It is
desired that they be formulated at high concentrations in aqueous
solutions.  However, due to hydrophobic interactions and other effects,
these molecules tend to aggregate in solution.  Aggregation not only
renders these molecules inactive, but also it can cause these molecules
to be immunogenic, one of the worst properties that a drug can have.
Using fundamental techniques from statistical physics, we have
developed a completely new conceptual approach to tailor design
additives to prevent aggregation of these complex molecules.   We have
also performed some initial experimental confirmations of our theories.
  In addition to the development of biopharmaceutical formulations, our
research has significance for understanding how living systems prevent
protein aggregation and for understanding human diseases such as
Alzheimer’s and Huntington’s diseases.