Earth System Physics Seminar

Pandora Malchose Pieri pandora at ictp.it
Mon Dec 11 14:42:07 CET 2006

EARTH SYSTEM PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 12 December 2006
15:00 hrs, MB ROOM 140

A REPRESENTATION OF CLIMATE DYNAMICS USING NETWORK THEORY

Giulia De Masi
Economics Department,
University of Ancona, Italy

Abstract
In recent years complex networks have been more and more applied for
many applications of statistical physicists. Several systems in
different fields can be described as a network.  In this study we apply
network theory to the study of climatic system.
Preliminary results show how network theory could represent useful
tools to study correlations of climate parameters. The basic idea is
that climate network can be defined using the average geopotential
height defined on a regular grid over the globe: the vertices of such
network are the grid points, while links are represented by the
correlations between different grid points. Following these rules a
weighted complete graph can be built defining a link between two points
when the correlation coefficients of Geopotential Height time series is
greater than a threshold value. Other authors have shown that the
properties of small worlds complex network emerge from this kind of
approach. In this work we focus on the topology of climate networks,
with a detailed study of architectural properties, focusing on
robustness of results changing main parameters. We compare networks
obtained from different atmospheric measures and different datasets. A
tentative of study of climate trends using network theory is shown.