urgent seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed Apr 26 11:55:13 CEST 2006

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 27 April    -    11:00 a.m.

Room 239,  Main Bldg.- II floor

D. IVANOV   ( Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne )

"Minigap in superconductor-ferromagnet junctions with inhomogenous
magnetization"

Abstract

We consider the minigap in a disordered ferromagnet (F) in contact with
a superconductor (S)  in the situation when the magnetization of the F
is inhomogeneous in space and noncollinear.  If the magnetization is
strongly inhomogeneous, it effectively averages out, and the minigap
survives up to the exchange field $h_c ~ (L/a) E_{Th}$, where $L$ is
the thickness of the F, $a$ is the scale on which the magnetization
varies, and $E_{Th}$ is the Thouless energy.  Technically, we use the
"triplet" version of the Usadel equations including both singlet and
triplet components of the Green's functions. In many cases, the effect
of disordered magnetization may be effectively included in the
conventional Usadel equations as the spin-flip scattering term. In the
case of low-dimensional magnetic inhomogeneities (we consider spiral
magnetization as an example),  however, the full set of "triplet"
equations must be solved.