Tomorrow's seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed Apr 19 12:47:57 CEST 2006

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR on

Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 20 April    -    11:00 a.m.

Room 239,  Main Bldg.- II floor

L. IOFFE   ( Rutgers State University of New Jersey, Piscataway )

"The challenge of error correction in quantum computation"

Abstract

I compare the software approach to the error correction in quantum
computation to the hardware one in which the protection from errors is
due to a proper choice of the microscopic Hamiltonian. I show that from
the theoretical point of view the systems protected at the physical
level are characterized by the topological order parameter.  I argue
that neither the software correction nor this topological protection
alone can be sufficient to achieve a stable computation with today
technology.  The most promising approach seems to combine some level of
hardware error correction that can be achieved in mesoscopic physical
systems characterized by topological order parameter with the software
error correction at a higher level.  I review the simplest spin models
and the small size Josephson junction arrays that provide this
protection and discuss the requirements on them imposed by the software
error correction.