Thursday's seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon Apr 3 15:32:38 CEST 2006

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR on
Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 6 April    -    11:00 a.m.

Room 239,  Main Bldg.- II floor

G. TKACHOV  ( University of Regensburg )

"Fluxoid states and oscillations of the Josephson current in
low-dimensional weak"

	Abstract

I will discuss charge transport in a specific type of low-dimensional
normal metal (N)-superconductor (S) systems which can exhibit nearly
reflectionless tunneling of Cooper pairs even for low-transparency
interfaces.  In SNS structures such reflectionless tunneling results in
anomalous Andreev bound states that make a dominant contribution to the
Josephson current. An interesting situation occurs in systems with
multiply connected superconductors where the Andreev bound states are
coupled to an external magnetic flux via the fluxoid quantization.  In
this case magnetic oscillations of the critical Josephson current
analogous to the Little-Parks effect are predicted.  I will also
discuss experiments presumably demonstrating the reflectionless
tunneling of Cooper pairs.