[RegCNET] Help. About time resolution of RegCM-4.1.1 outputs

Miao Yu miao.yu at engr.uconn.edu
Sat Oct 22 18:52:37 CEST 2011

Dear All,

I'm running the RegCM-4.1.1. At first, I set the frequency of ATM and RAD
outputs at 6 hours and SRF output at 3 hours. And I use CDO to postprocess
the data at daily means. I name the output as o and opost respectively. Then
I rerun the model, setting the frequency at 24 hours for all of them. I name
its output as odaily.

My questions are as follows.

1.      I find that the tpr (total precipitation) written in odaily are
daily mean values, while the tg (surface temperature) are instant values. I
only compared these two variables, and I don't know what is about for other
variables. Why the model writes them in the two different ways? Besides, if
the monthly outputs can be derived straightly from the model?

2.      I find that every opost has one additional time slice for all of the
variables. It is because that the last time in o is recorded at 0:00 in the
next month. When the CDO computes their daily or monthly means, it will not
include the last time slice. So the daily or monthly means of opost will
ignore the last time of the variables for every month. Although the
differences for the last day between the opost and the Fortran processed
daily means are small, I think some errors will be caused when using the
opost to run another model if I ignore the last time slice of variables. I'm
not sure if I'm right.

I hope your help.

Regards,

Miao