[RegCNET] How to calculate the SW optical parameters?

Solmon Fabien fsolmon at ictp.it
Thu May 5 16:33:14 CEST 2011

Hello Xingtao Su

1) You have to assume or calculate an effective radius for each bin .
For that we considered a sub-bin distribution corresponding to an
average emission distribution ( 3 mode distribution of Alfaro). This is
an approximation because the real distribution willl of course change
during transport due to deposition process (cf ACPD discussion about
Zakey 'a paper) , but we have no way to accound for that in rgecm (
except multiplying the number of bins)). If you have data or information
over your region,  you can for your particular region assume an other
distribution to calculate the bin effective radius.

2) The mie calculation should be done iteratively over the spectral
range of the different spectral windows of regm. Eg for a given band  eg
340-640nm consider a 10 nm spectral increment to calculate optical
properties and then average to get an effective value rather than doing
a single Mie  calculation for the band central wavelenght.

Hope it helps

all the best

Fabien