[RegCNET] Vertical resolution

Travis O'Brien tobrien at ucsc.edu
Thu Mar 24 15:15:37 CET 2011

Hi Faisal,

Attached is a version of terrain.f90 with an added option for 30 levels.
 You'll find this addition around line 172.  The kz=30 option mainly adds
resolution in the lower-middle atmosphere (it approximately doubles the
number of levels around 1 km in a standard atmosphere).  The resolution near
the ground (kz=31) is about as high as it can get (delta_sigma = 0.01), and
the resolution near the top of the atmosphere is about as low as it should
get (delta_sigma = 0.05).  You should be able to move levels in the middle
of the model around, as long as they fit those constraints.

You may find that you need to decrease the model time step to get it to run
stably with these extra levels.

I believe that this should work simply, but please let me know whether it
works or not.  I may have forgotten to make a change else where, since I
back-ported the 30-level option to this v4.0 version of terrain just this
morning.

When the University of Washington boundary layer model is released
officially in RegCM later this year (it should be in the next few months),
it will come with a modification to terrain that allows terrain to choose an
arbitrary number of levels, instead of the default 14,18, or 23; the set of
sigma levels that I included in the attached version of terrain.f90 comes
from choosing kz=30 with the new scheme.

Regards,
-Travis O'Brien-