[RegCNET] Ozone tracer in RegCM3???

Maurice.McHugh at noaa.gov Maurice.McHugh at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 19 22:32:53 CET 2011

Dear Dr. Bi and colleagues,

We are interested in using RegCM to perform transport modeling of ozone.  However, we are unaware of RegCM’s exact chemical species transport modeling capabilities.  We would prefer to not use chemistry schemes and have ozone treated as an unreactive gas, however we can use chemistry schemes if that’s the only option we have.

There are two major areas we are concerned about:  feeding our own 3D ozone concentration data and attaching a tracer.  Is there a way to feed our own ozone concentration fields into RegCM?  If so, can the data be fed with the rest of the input fields or does it need to be fed within the model itself?  Once we have ozone in the model, how can we trace ozone transport?  Is it possible to add another tracer?  Or could we use one of the existing tracers (SOx, BC, dust, etc.) without disrupting model radiation calculations?

Thank you,

Maurice