[RegCNET] Problem in RegCM3 aerosol simulation.

Dilip Ganguly dganguly at prl.res.in
Wed Apr 4 07:40:09 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,

As pointed out by Solmon, I have made the correction in my
RegCM/Main/aermix.f code. However, even after making this change, I am
getting exactly the same result as my previous model output obtained
without incorporating this correction.

I am surprised to find that the values of aerosol extinction (aext8) and
all other tracer mixing ratios are exactly same at all atmospheric levels.
There is absolutely no difference in their magnitudes at different heights
(sigma pressure levels). This is not expected and it can not be true.

Another surprising thing which I have noticed is that aerosol extinction
values are controlled by the dust loading alone. None of the other tracers
such as BC or OC seem to have any affect on the aerosol extinction.
Aerosol extinction values (aext8) obtained from RegCM simulation are
unbelievably low over the regions where there is high column burden of BC
and OC aerosols. This is a contradiction. I am not able to understand if I
am making any mistakes while setting various parameters in my simulations
or BC/OC aerosols simulated by the model does not radiatively interact in
the RegCM3 model and hence it is not possible to study the effect of these
aerosols on climate using the present version of the model.

I have attached my domain.param and regcm.in files along with this mail so
that it may be checked if I have set all the parameters correctly for
including dust/aerosols in my model simulation.

I made following changes in the RegCM/Main/parame file to include all the
ten tracers

integer ntr                      ! tracer number
      parameter( ntr = 10)
      integer nbin                     ! bins number ( dust)
      parameter(nbin = 4)

Can anybody tell, what is going wrong in my RegCM3 aerosol simulation.

Thanks in advance.

Dilip.

--
Dr. Dilip Ganguly