ICTP Colloquium on Friday 19 Nov at 17:00 LB

Info Point info_pt at ictp.it
Tue Nov 16 13:28:11 CET 2010

*ICTP COLLOQUIUM 17:00, Friday, 19 November 2010 Main Lecture Hall,
Leonardo Building, ICTP Luis von Ahn Computer Science Department
Carnegie Mellon University* "Human Computation"

ABSTRACT This talk is about harnessing human time and energy to address
problems that computers cannot yet solve. Although computers have
advanced dramatically in many respects over the last 50 years, they
still do not possess the basic conceptual intelligence or perceptual
capabilities that most humans take for granted. By leveraging human
skills and abilities in a novel way, I want to solve large-scale
computational problems and collect training data to teach computers many
of the basic human talents. To this end, I treat human brains as
processors in a distributed system, each performing a small part of a
massive computation. Unlike computer processors,however, humans require
an incentive in order to become part of a collective computation. Among
other things, I show how to use online games as a means to encourage
participation in the process.

BIO Professor Luis von Ahn works in the Computer Science Department at
Carnegie Mellon University. His current research interests include
encouraging people to do work for free, as well as catching and
thwarting cheaters in online environments. He is the recipient of a
MacArthur Fellowship, a Packard Fellowship, a Microsoft New Faculty
Fellowship,and a Sloan Research Fellowship. He has been named one of the
50 Best Minds in Science by Discover Magazine, one of the 100 Most
Creative People in Business of 2010 by Fast Company Magazine, one of the
"Brilliant 10" scientists of 2006 by Popular Science Magazine, one of
the 50 most influential people in technology by Silicon.com, and one of
the Top Innovators in the Arts and Sciences by Smithsonian Magazine.